Having a functioning vehicle is a prerequisite for most adults in America—but it comes with plenty of upkeep, maintenance and licensing requirements. Pennsylvania requires an annual state car inspection to ensure that all cars on the road are safe to drive. Do you know what state inspections in Bellefonte, PA entail?
Here’s what a regular Pennsylvania state inspection includes. When it’s time for your next inspection, make sure to work with a licensed shop like S & R Repairs Towing & Recovery Inc.:
- Driver and vehicle registration: First, the shop will check your driver’s license and vehicle registration to make sure everything is accurate and up to date. You’ll also need to show proof of insurance, which is required in Pennsylvania. That means you should renew your registration and your driver’s license and pay your insurance premium before you schedule your state inspection appointment.
- Exterior inspection: Next, your mechanics will inspect your vehicle’s exterior and verify that your license plate is securely attached and well lit. They’ll look to ensure that there are no chips or cracks in your windows and windshield that could compromise your safety, and test the wiper blades to verify that they work properly. Your doors are checked to make sure they open, shut and lock. Your bumpers need to be securely fastened. Finally, they’ll check your headlights, taillights and turn signals.
- Interior inspection: Your interior inspection includes a steering wheel and column check. The mechanic will verify that your horn and parking brake work, and that your brake pedal does not depress all the way to the floor. They’ll also make sure all the seatbelts function properly.
- Engine: Next, the inspection will look at your engine and emissions systems. This involves looking for any leaks or obvious damage that could make driving unsafe. The mechanic will check the transmission, fluid levels, oil, coolant and battery to determine whether there’s any need for repair. They’ll also check the emissions system to make sure your car isn’t producing unhealthy levels of smoke and exhaust.
- Chassis: Your mechanic will check the brake pads, fluids and calipers to ensure they’ll function safely whenever you need to come to a stop. Shocks, axles, springs and the frame itself must all be in good working order to pass the inspection. Finally, they’ll examine your tires to make sure the tread and depth are still safe to drive on.
Once your inspection is complete, the mechanic will take your car or truck for a test drive to ensure it’s running safely and smoothly. If everything is in good working order, your car will pass the state inspection and you can legally drive it for another year.
In addition to ensuring your own safety and helping you address major issues in a timely fashion, keeping your car in good condition benefits everyone on the road. If you need to get your annual state inspection in Bellefonte, PA, make sure you bring it to S & R Repairs Towing & Recovery Inc. Call us today to set up your next appointment.
Categorised in: State Inspections