If you’re not mechanically inclined, you might find cars and their inner workings to be something of a puzzle. However, almost anyone can tell when something suddenly feels “off.” For those who aren’t looking forward to an expensive repair, it’s tempting to ignore the problem and just hope it goes away. However, if the problem is transmission trouble in Centre County, PA, you’d be wise to get it checked out immediately.
Here are the signs that your transmission might be failing:
- Transmission warning light: Perhaps the most obvious sign of transmission trouble, this warning light can be the first sign that something is amiss. Sometimes it’s an electrical error, but if it comes on in conjunction with any of the following symptoms, be sure to visit your mechanic as soon as possible.
- The transmission slips: Is your car failing to accelerate properly, or does it feel like it’s slipping into another gear all by itself? Does the noise sound like the engine is whining or slipping? This is a sign that you’re experiencing transmission issues.
- A burning smell: While this is cause for alarm, the fix might be as simple as replacing overheated transmission fluid. Anytime you smell something burning, though, you need to get your car looked at as soon as possible.
- Leaking fluid: If your car is leaking fluid, slide a sheet of cardboard underneath so that you’re able to identify the source and the color of the fluid. Transmission fluid is usually bright red, dark red or dark brown. Your mechanic will want to know what you’ve discovered, so either bring the cardboard with you or take pictures so that you can share your information with a professional.
- Delayed engagement: Is your transmission taking longer than it should to shift gears, especially when making the transition between park and drive? If the engine revs as you give it gas but still doesn’t move, that’s a sign your transmission isn’t working as it should.
- It’s noisy, even in neutral: Sometimes a bumping or clunking noise when your car is in neutral just means you have to replace the transmission fluid, which is a normal part of car maintenance. If that doesn’t take care of the problem, you’ll need to visit a mechanic.
- Grinding gears: Finally, if your manual transmission vehicle grinds as you switch gears, or your automatic transmission feels like it’s shifting rougher than usual, it’s time to check the transmission. Manual cars may just need to replace the clutch, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Since transmission repairs can be costly, getting ahead of the problem is key. S & R Repairs Towing & Recovery Inc. is a trusted roadside assistance provider serving Bellefonte and the neighboring communities. We provide each and every one of our clients with friendly, prompt and professional service. Our team is fully licensed and insured for towing all vehicles. If you’re experiencing transmission trouble in Centre County, PA, don’t risk your safety. Call us to get your car towed today.
Categorised in: Roadside Assistance