No one likes to hear that sound: Your wheels are spinning, and they’re just not going to get traction anytime soon. You might get out and try to give it a push, or simply keep hitting the gas, spinning your wheels and senselessly wishing that the result will change.
Thankfully, professionals are available to help in these situations, especially when you’re dealing with a stuck commercial vehicle. Here’s a guide on how to get your truck unstuck from the experts in truck and trailer repair in Centre County, PA.
Get the right tools
It’s obviously best to have the right tools with you before you get stuck. If you don’t, it’s time to go out and get what you can so you can be better prepared. Here’s what you need to help you get the job done:
- Work gloves: Keep your hands protected and get a better grip for the hard work ahead with a pair of sturdy work gloves. You want to skip thin gloves made out of latex or nitrile; instead, use a reusable work glove that will also offer better insulation.
- Shovel: This is necessary to dig out mud, snow or whatever else the truck is sinking into. If you can’t fit a traditional D-handle shovel in your vehicle, then a foldable shovel is an acceptable replacement.
- Find ways to get traction: What you need the truck to do is get a grip first and gain some speed so that it avoids digging an even bigger hole. You can use a variety of items, like strips of carpet or cardboard, and place them in front of the wheels. If you’re willing to spend the money, molded-plastic recovery tracks do an excellent job.
- Recovery strap: This is utilized by one vehicle to get another vehicle unstuck. Make sure you have a proper recovery strap with loops at each end. What you don’t want to have happen is for the strap to break, which could be hazardous. Only connect these to either the vehicle’s frame or to designated tow points—not to the body or bumpers.
- Winch: If you’re off-roading or otherwise expect to get stuck frequently, a winch is a solid investment. Combined with a tree saver strap, a snatch block and tow straps, this is an ideal solution for pulling your vehicle out either on your own or with the help of another vehicle.
Do you need to get your truck out of a sticky situation? The next time you’re looking for the leaders in truck and trailer repair in Centre County, PA, S & R Repairs Towing & Recovery Inc. is here to help.
Since 1982, our family-owned business has operated with integrity and provided each and every one of our clients with a consistently high-quality service experience. That’s why we offer a slew of services designed to make your time out on the road safer and help you maximize your transit time. Give us a call right now to learn more and get an estimate started!
Categorised in: Vehicle Recovery