How to Prepare Your Vehicle for Holiday Travel
Millions of Americans hit the road during the holidays to visit friends and family members in different parts of the state or country. All of that road traffic paired with potential bad weather makes these road trips quite dangerous! Keep reading to learn how to get ready for your trip, and how vehicle repair services in Centre County, PA can help keep you safe:
- Create an emergency kit: Before you hit the road, pack an emergency kit that contains items like extra water and food, blankets, road flares, first aid gear and a handheld radio. Having these things handy guarantees you can more safely make it through any difficult situation.
- Know your route: GPS devices will give you turn-by-turn directions, but we recommend taking a look at your route ahead of time so you know exactly which way you’re going. Knowing your way before you get in the car reduces the chances of being involved in an accident or missing a critical exit on the highway.
- Check the weather: Knowing the forecast ahead of time is crucial at this time of year, as winter weather makes driving incredibly dangerous. Keep an eye on the radar and think about altering your route if the roads will be treacherous.
- Bring plenty of entertainment: Traveling with young kids can be tough if they don’t have anything to keep them occupied during the journey. Portable DVD players, video games and even simple coloring books can do wonders to keep them busy and prevent temper tantrums.
- Get your car serviced: Last, but certainly not least, bring your car to a mechanic for a tune-up. Thorough inspections and tune-ups prevent mid-trip breakdowns and help keep you safe on the road.
What should winter car service entail? Be sure to have these vehicle repair services in Centre County, PA to guarantee your car is ready to hit the road this season:
- Brakes: Your brakes are important for your safety year-round, but they become even more important when the roads are slick or icy! During your inspection, your mechanic will check out your brake pads and replace them if they’re getting thin.
- Tires: Having good brakes doesn’t do you much good if your tires are balding. Your mechanic can take a look at your tires and let you know whether or not they need to be replaced. Now is also a great time to consider investing in some snow tires for the winter, as they’re much better at gripping the road.
- Fluids: As a responsible car owner, you know you need to get your oil changed every few thousand miles, but did you know that you should change your oil for the winter? Colder temperatures call for low viscosity motor oil that’ll continue to flow when it’s freezing outside. Your mechanic will be able to recommend the perfect winter motor oil for your engine.
Whether you’re going across the country or across the county, come in to see the professionals at S & R Repairs Towing & Recovery Inc. for an inspection and a tune-up. We provide an array of vehicle repair services in Centre County, PA that will help ensure your car is ready to hit the road this season.
Categorised in: Roadside Assistance